Instagram

Labels

America (50) Canada (3) city trip (3) Europe (12) my happy place (15) road trip (54) solo travel (4) Switzerland (9) USA (50) winter (4)

Blog-Archiv

Freitag, 29. Dezember 2017

South Lake Tahoe

I have a soft spot in my heart for Lake Tahoe, not only because of the beauty this place exudes, but also because of memories that are intertwined with it. About five years ago I was at the beginning of what should have been a fantastic road trip with my family. It was the first time that we visited Lake Tahoe.  We came from Napa Valley and had just learned that my grandma has passed away. We were devastated and sad. Pretty fast we made the decision to interrupt our trip and return home. Neither one of us felt as if we could continue and enjoy the 3 weeks that were still ahead of us. So we organized everything from our hotel in South Lake Tahoe. The following day we drove to San Francisco to catch our flight. We drove along the lake for a while and despite our sadness, we were amazed by all the pretty views and eventually stopped at Emerald Bay, stepped out of the car and enjoyed the wide open beauty. This sight was soothing and calming and was somehow uplifting. Beauty for ashes, at least for a short while.

It was this particular spot I wanted to visit again on this trip. As soon as I arrived at the hotel, I drove up to Emerald bay and climbed up that rock, from where you can have a grand view over Lake Tahoe. I sat there for a while, enjoyed the quiet and peaceful surroundings. For me everything regarding my first visit here and the passing of my grandma came full circle. It really hit me as I realized this. I teared up for a moment and felt all kinds of emotions. I felt sad, happy and grateful, all in once.

Overlooking Emerald Bay
I know life has its own ways and sometimes we really don’t know why things happen. Actually I was supposed to be in Santa Rosa, visiting a friend by that time, but due to a horrible and devastating wildfire she had to evacuate and we couldn’t meet. I was glad to hear she and her kid were safe, thank god. So I changed my travel plans a little and first thing that came to mind, was Lake Tahoe. There I was, exploring nature by enjoying the evening mood on the day I arrived, hiking up to Eagle Lake the other day (It’s a moderate hike, about 2 hours) and watching the sun rise from top of Emerald bay and afterwards walking down to the shore. I really came to love this place even more, the mountains and forest that surround Lake Tahoe, the fresh air and the peace that comes from this scene. It was perfect. And I was thankful, to visit this place again I came to love, in a much happier state.




On top of the rock I sat on above Emerald Bay





On the day I hiked up to Eagle Lake.




Eagle Lake

Pretty sights from the beach where I stayed at the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort By Diamond Resorts. I can highly recommend it, the rooms are spacious and super comfy and the staff are very welcoming and friendly.





Sunriese at Lake Tahoe
Doesn't it look magical??

Down at Emerald Bay

Can you tell, why I love it so much?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen